AIDS Vancouver Island serves the needs of people infected and affected by HIV and hepatitis C. We take evidence-based action to prevent infection, provide support, and reduce stigma.
3rd Floor, Access Health Centre
713 Johnson Street
Victoria BC V8W 1M8
Contact: (250) 384-2366
Fax: (250) 380-9411
HARM REDUCTION 3-10pm daily, 250-889-0268
MOBILE HARM REDUCTION SERVICES 12-4pm Wed-Fri only [250-896-AVIX (2849)]
OFFICE HOURS Mon-Fri 10am-5pm (Harm Reduction open from 3pm-10pm), Sat-Sun 3pm-10pm
MAILING ADDRESS 3rd Floor – Access Health Centre 713 Johnson St, Victoria BC V8W 1M8
Services for people in our community living with HIV (human immunodeficiency virus), AIDS (autoimmune deficiency syndrome), HCV (hepatitis C virus), people who use drugs, trans folks, gay men, bisexual men, queer men and men who have sex with men are available across Vancouver Island. Please contact an AVI office near you for support.
INFOLINE 1-800-665-2437 Learn more about HIV & HCV safer sex, HIV testing or transmission, STDs and harm reduction. Find services for you or someone you know. All confidential calls taken by trained staff and volunteers.
- Presentations for populations with greater exposure to HIV and HVC in prisons, social service organizations, and other community organizations are available by request.
- Educational materials promoting improved health, safer drug use, safer sex and more are available to the public at all AVI offices and online.
- Volunteer Services provides an opportunity to give back to your community while developing invaluable training and work experience
Services for people living with HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C
- Short-term counseling focused on immediate needs and outcomes
- Advocacy and support with income assistance, health care services, employment, housing, disability status applications and legal matters
- Non-judgmental education and support for treatment, side effects, nutrition and symptoms
- HIV+, member-only program and space for peers to interact while enjoying refreshments and a hot, nutritious lunch. Open to folks who are HepC+ on Tuesdays.
- Weekly drop-in medical clinic
- Public transportation ticket access
- Referrals to other services
Supports for Gay, Bi and Trans Identified Men
- GROUP SUPPORT: The Men’s Wellness Program at AVI offers a safe environment for individuals to talk about being actively involved with other men, and how that impacts on their sexual, physical, emotional, psychological and spiritual health and wellbeing.
- OUTREACH: Men’s Wellness Program provides free access to safer sex supplies (Assorted condoms and lube) at Paparazzi Night Club @ 642 Johnson St. They also deliver safer sex supplies to local cruising areas, other groups, events, schools and individuals.
- WORKSHOPS: Men’s Wellness Program runs several different workshops throughout the year. To learn more visit their page at http://avi.org/mens-wellness
Harm reduction services for people who use drugs
- Daily Drop-in from 3pm – 10pm
- Overdose Prevention Room for safer drug use and rapid overdose response, daily 3pm – 9pm
- Mobile Van (deliveries & used syringe pick-up from Sidney to Sooke); Wed-Fri noon – 4pm
- Case management support (713 Outreach Team partnership with Island Health)
- Harm reduction supplies and support (peer support, counselling, referrals)
- Overdose prevention and response training, including take-home naloxone
- Education for safer drug use and safer sex
- Street Nurse clinics
- Referral and assistance navigating social and health care systems
- Outreach education for youth and prison populations
- Educational and leadership development programming (Street College)
Services for youth
- Youth Harm Reduction Training Series, January-March (call 250-360-6315 to register)
- Queer Youth Training Series, October-December (call 250-360-6315 to register)
- Access to one-on-one support and education with Youth Outreach Educator
- Referral and assistance navigating social and health care system
- Workshops provided to schools, community groups, and youth agencies on any of the following topics:
HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis C, Safer Partying, Sexual Health, Safer Tattooing and Piercing, and Overdose Prevention and Response
Westshore AVI Health Centre
#111-2787 Jacklin Road, Langford, BC, V9B 3X7
Mondays: 1:30pm – 6:30pm
Tuesday and Thursday: 9:30am – 4:30pm
- Our Westshore AVI Health Centre offers low barrier, free treatment and support to people struggling with opiate use
- Our nurse can provide STI (sexually transmitted infection) testing and treatment.
- One-minute HIV point of care screening tests are available.
- Our patients utilizing OST treatment or living with HIV can access blood tests, pap smears, immunizations and wound care.
- With a harm reduction focus we offer education, treatment and support for clients living with HCV and HIV. Condoms, information and counseling about diseases and STIs, prevention and management as well as safer drug use are also available.
- Educational materials promoting improved health, safer drug use, safer sex and more are available.
- Harm reduction supplies and information.
- Take home Naloxone trainings.
- Peer support groups and educational trainings
Other offices in Nanaimo, Courtenay, and Campbell River. See http://www.avi.org for more information